GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an national level entrance exam for admission to PG courses in the field of engineering and technology. Candidates can get admissions into M.Tech./Ph.D. programmes in IITs , IISc, IISERs and other reputed institutions through GATE score. Every year, GATE is organized by the seven zonal IITs and an IISc on rotational basis. GATE 2018 Dates will be notified in July 2017. Apart from granting admission, the score of gate exam is also considered as one of the criteria for recruitment to government and private organizations working in technical fields. Aspirants can check here complete details about GATE 2018 Entrance Examination.
GATE 2018 Notification
GATE 2018 notification will be released in the month of July 2017. The notification will include exam dates, application date, form filling procedure, GATE exam pattern, syllabus, previous years question papers, name of the GATE organizing institution and other important details about GATE 2018.
GATE 2018 Exam Date
GATE 2018 exam dates will be declared when the notification will be released in July, 2017. Candidates may check tentative dates below.
|Commencement of Online Application Form||First week of September 2017|
|Last Date of Application Form Submission||First week of October 2017|
|Corrections in Application Form||Second week of October 2017|
|Last Date to request for change in examination city||Third week of October 2017|
|Admit Card Availability||First week of January 2018|
|GATE 2018 Exam Date||First & Second Saturday & Sunday of February 2018|
|Answer Key Released On||Within a few days after examination|
|Result Declaration||Last week of March 2018|
|Downloading of Score Card Begins||Last week of March 2018 to Last week of May 2018|
|Counselling Commence||Second week of April 2018|
GATE Registration 2018
The brief details of GATE Registration is given below:
- All the candidates have to apply online only.
- GATE registration 2018 will be started from the first week of September 2017.
- The registration will be end till the first week of October 2017.
- The authority will provide a period of approx one month for the application process.
- Aspirants have to fill GATE 2018 application form through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
- Candidates have to register as a “New User”.
- After successful registration, they will get the access to GOAPS.
- Thereafter, they are required to login using GOAPS Enrollment ID and GOAPS Password.
- While filling the application form, students need to upload scanned photograph, signature, thumb impression, degree certificate or category certificate.
- International candidates are also eligible to apply.
- GATE 2018 will be conducted in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates.
- Application procedure for international candidates is same as Indians.
- International candidates must possess a valid passport to apply.
Candidates can pay the application fee via Net banking, debit card or e-challan. GATE 2018 registration fee details is given below:
|Women Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|SC/ST/PwD Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|All Other Candidates||Rs. 1500/-|
|GATE International Candidates||US Dollars 50|
GATE Eligibility Criteria
Candidates can check GATE eligibility criteria. In order to fill the GATE application form 2018, students should have any one of the qualification as mentioned below:
|Qualification Required||Description about the Qualifying Degree||Status of the Degree||Year of Passing|
|B.E./B.Tech/B.Pharm||4-years B.Tech (after 10+2) in any stream or 3-years B.Tech lateral entry (after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology). Final year candidates may also apply.||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|B.Arch||5-years bachelor’s degree in Architecture||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|B.Sc. Research/B.S.||4-years Bachelor’s degree in Science (post-diploma or after 10+2)||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|M. Sc./M.A./MCA orequivalent||Master’s degree in Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in final year or completed||2018|
|Int. M.E/M.Tech(Post-B.Sc.)||4-years Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology||Presently in 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed||2010|
|Int. M.E./M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||5-years Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed||2019|
|Int. M.Sc/Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integratedB. S./M. S. program||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|Professional Society Examination equivalent to B.Tech/B.E./B.Arch||B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professionalcourses||NA|
Note: International candidates should have completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology or Post-graduate (M.Sc.) degree in any relevant science subject.AT the time of filling the application form, students have to upload their proof of qualification eligibility. Students who have passed the qualifying degree in 2017 or before are required to submit the degree certificate/provisional certificate while the other candidates have to upload certificate from Principal/head of the institution.
GATE 2018 Application Form Correction
Minor modifications will be permitted in the GATE 2018 application form. The correction will be allowed only after the submission of application form. In case, if any mistake has committed by the candidate in application then, he/she has to sent an email subjecting “Correction in data (Enrollment Number)” along with the document proof.
GATE Corrections/Modifications will be granted in the following fields:
- Name of Candidate
- Name of Parent/Guardian
- Status from Gen to OBC and OBC to General
- Have you graduated in the above degree?
- Year of Qualifying Degree
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern
The detailed GATE 2018 exam pattern is given below:
Course: GATE is conducted for M.Tech./Ph.D. programme in IITs , IISc and various other institutions.
Number of Papers: GATE 2018 is held for total 23 papers. Candidates are allowed to appear in only one of the 23 papers.
Mode of Examination: The examination mode will be online only (CBT).
Exam Duration: The examination duration will be 3 hours.
Number of Questions: Total 65 questions of maximum 100 marks will be asked in GATE 2018.
Type of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) & Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) will appear in GATE examination. For MCQ, 4 choices will be provided while there will be no options provided for NAT. Students are required to enter the real number in Numerical Answer Type Questions with the help of virtual keypad.
Section Common in All GATE Papers: General Aptitude (GA) section is common in all papers. It will contain total 150 questions of maximum 15 marks (5 questions of 1 mark and 5 questions of 2 marks).
New Section: In the paper of XE, new section (H) namely Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences has been included from the year 2017.
Marking Scheme: MCQ and NAT questions will carry 1 or 2 marks in all papers.
Negative Marking: There will be a negative marking of 1/3 marks for the questions carrying 1 mark. Likewise, for questions carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted. No negative marking for Numerical Answer Type questions.
Exam Pattern For All Papers Except GG, XE, XL:
- 25 questions of 1 mark each.
- 30 questions of 2 marks each.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper GG:
- Part A – 25 questions of 1 mark each. This part is common for all candidates.
- Part B – 30 questions of 2 marks each. This part has two sections, section-1 is of Geology and section-2 is of Geophysics.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper XE:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory Section) – Total 11 questions will be asked. 7 questions of 1 mark each and 4 questions of 2 marks each. It is common to all candidates.
- Any two of XE sections from B to H – 22 questions. 9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper XL:
- Section P – Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains total 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – Total 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark each and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- 10 questions from GA.
GATE Virtual Calculator
GATE virtual calculator is the online calculator which contains all the operations and functions for carrying out calculations. The virtual calculator will be provided during online examination. No physical calculator will be allowed in the examination hall. Students have to use the virtual calculator for solving Numerical Answer Type Questions.
It is known that GATE is held for 23 papers. Syllabus for each discipline is different. For an effective preparation, it is important to know each and every topic from where the questions will be asked. It is hard to describe the complete syllabus of GATE in few lines. However, the students can download the official PDF of GATE 2018 syllabus for AE, AG, AR, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, EY, XE, GG, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PE, PH, PI, TF and XL.